When I was a young Christian, no one explained to me what happened to me spiritually when I became born again. When asked if I was a Christian, my typical response was to say, “Jesus lives in my heart.” Unfortunately, like many believers, I had minimal biblical knowledge of the miraculous work we call the New Birth.
I want to list several translations of scripture that we are all familiar with, 2 Cor. 5:17:
- Amplified – “Therefore if any person is ingrafted in Christ, the Messiah, he is a new creation (a new creature altogether); the old previous moral and spiritual condition has passed away. Behold the fresh, and the new has come!
- The Living Bible – “When Someone becomes a Christian, he becomes a brand-new person inside. He is not the same anymore. A new life has come!”
- AS Wade Translation – “Of if anyone becomes united to Christ, he is a fresh Creation; the original conditions have passed away; mark! they have been replaced by new conditions.”
- Williams New Testament – “So if anybody is in union with Christ, he is the work of a new creation; the old condition has passed away, a new condition has come.”
- Philips New Testament in Modern English – “…he becomes a new person altogether- the past is finished and gone, everything has become fresh and new.”
When you become a Christian, you become a brand-new person on the inside. Not merely a person altered, but a person remade. We become sharers of the very nature of our Heavenly Father.
What are some of the characteristics of our Heavenly Father’s divine nature?
- God’s nature is love – 1 John 4:8 – the Bible informs us in Romans 5:5 that God’s love, the very quality, and nature of God’s love is in our heart.
- God’s nature is wisdom – 1 Cor. 1:30 – Now we can boldly say that we have the mind of Christ. We can make Christ-like decisions in all that we do and say.
- God’s nature is health – Romans 8:2 – When God created man in the Garden of Eden before Adam’s sin, humankind was utterly free from sickness and disease or from anything that brings destruction. We have Jesus the healer living in our spirit. We have all health and healing available to us daily.
- God’s nature contains vision and purpose – Eph. 2:10 – the Amplified version reads – “For we are God’s own handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, born anew that we may do those good works which God predestined, planned beforehand for us, taking paths which he prepared and made ready for us to live.”
God has placed His eternal purpose in our spirits. As we grow and develop spiritually and renew our minds to God’s Word, that purpose becomes clear; takes on shape and meaning.
In this audio message, you will learn:
- What happened the moment you became a child of God.
- The importance of renewing our minds and making a daily confession of what we now have as a result of the new birth.
- How our spiritual nature has become united with Christ and what we now have as a result of that spiritual relationship.
This message is available as a free download, or you can listen to via the audio player below.
(This audio message was originally shared at RHEMA Bible Church in Broken Arrow, OK, pastored by Rev. Kenneth and Lynette Hagin.)